School Nutrition

School Meals
Now is a great time to encourage your child to eat breakfast and lunch at school! All Pittsylvania County Schools participate in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Program. Meals offered to students align with the nutrition recommendations of the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and meet current state and federal nutrition requirements which are intended to enhance the health of students, and help lessen the childhood obesity trend.  

Pittsylvania County Schools’ cafeterias are committed to serving students healthy, minimally processed, and made-from-scratch foods with plenty of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and fat-free and low-fat milk. Meals offered are moderate in sodium, low in fat, free from trans fat and meet students’ age-appropriate calorie requirements: 
Grades K-5 (Breakfast: 350-500 calories per day; Lunch: 550-650 calories per day)
Grades 6-8 (Breakfast: 400-550 calories per day; Lunch: 600-700 calories per day)
Grades 9-12 (Breakfast: 450-600 calories per day; Lunch 750-850 calories per day)

Breakfast is offered every day at school, and all schools offer a Grab ‘n Go option. With Grab ‘n Go, students simply pick up their breakfast meal from the cafeteria or from a hallway kiosk and take it with them to their homerooms to eat while unpacking and getting settled for the start of the day. Students like the convenience of Grab ‘n Go and enjoy being able to eat in their classrooms with their friends. 

Eating a healthy lunch ensures that students get the proper nutrition they need throughout the day to concentrate and learn. All school cafeterias still prepare homemade items for lunch such as soups, school rolls, chili, vegetables, and desserts. In addition, they offer only preservative-free deli meats and premium all-breast chicken nuggets and filets which students prefer. School lunches provide students with a healthful balance of foods and a variety of food options. 

Meal Prices 
For the 2021-2022 school year, all Pittsylvania County Schools’ students will receive both their breakfast and lunch meals free of charge. This is great news for families! No further action is required of parents or guardians. Every student will be able to receive both their breakfast and lunch meals at no cost regardless of income.

Extra Foods to Purchase
Students will continue to have the option to add money to their cafeteria accounts in order to purchase extra food items such as bottled water, juice, chips, or seconds of favorite foods such as pizza, chicken nuggets, and fries. Parents can add extra money to their children’s account for these items by sending cash or check or by paying on-line at
*Free drinking water is available in the cafeteria during breakfast and lunch.

Parent request for Transfer/Refund of remaining cafeteria funds
Student’s cafeteria account balances will carry over from year to year. Graduating senior account balances can be transferred to younger siblings’ accounts, or refunded upon request. Requests to refund account balances must be made by completing the Request for Reimbursement of Meal Money form which may be obtained from each school’s cafeteria or by calling the School Nutrition Office at 434-432-2761 ext. 5042. Please allow at least 30 days from date of request for refund. 

Requests to transfer balances to another account must be made by calling the School Nutrition Office at 434-432-2761 ext. 5042. 

Breakfast and lunch menus listing the food choices for each month are posted on the Pittsylvania County Schools’ website under the Parent link, and hard copies can be made available for students to bring home. In addition, nutrition education materials are shared with parents, and students through our monthly menus.

Food Allergies
If your child has food allergies, requires a special diet, or needs the school meal to be modified due to a documented medical condition, please contact your child’s school nurse. The school nurse will provide a Special Dietary Needs Form. Please have the doctor who treats your child for his/her medical condition to complete this form in detail and sign it. This form must be completed and returned before the cafeteria can provide your child with anything other than the general school meal. Return the completed form to the school nurse. 

Once the form is returned to the school nurse, he/she will then submit the form to the Supervisor of School Nutrition. The Supervisor of School Nutrition will then contact you to discuss the options available for accommodating your child’s needs. Please be aware that planning and training staff for special diet modifications requires time, and there may be stretch of time until the cafeteria has the special menu for your child in place. Foods provided by the parent or guardian would be the safest option during this short period. 

Please contact the Supervisor of School Nutrition, Kara Scott at 434-432-2761 ext. 5045 for more information. 


In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits. Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339. Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

  1. mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture
    Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
    1400 Independence Avenue, SW Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

  2. fax: (202) 690-7442; or

  3. email: [email protected]

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.